The WMed Innovation Center is the place to start and grow life science, technology, or engineering ventures.
Life science, technology, and engineering companies depend upon robust systems, services and expertise. The Innovation Center delivers on all fronts. The 69,000-square-foot, purpose-built incubator and co-working space was created to support the earliest startups to maturing companies with subsidized, low-cost laboratory, office and conference space, high quality scientific equipment and expertise, and a wide range of support services.
Since its inception the Innovation Center has established a track record of positive impact in Southwest Michigan and elsewhere. Achievements include:
- 2 incubation awards: Innovation of the Year and Graduate of the Year
- 174 jobs created by companies served with an average salary of $69,898
- $8.2 million in state funds awarded to companied served
- $44.3 million in federal SBIR/STTR funds awarded to companies served
- $127.5 million in total angel and VC funds invested in companies served
- 169 patents applied for
- 66 patents issued
- On-site business and financial counseling, along with access to financial, legal and communication services.
- Business equipment, including overhead projectors and high-speed color copier
- Business services, including free high-speed Internet, shared conference rooms, mail and package handling, reception,
- Entrepreneurial services, including business plan assistance, introductions to investors, management team recruitment advice, monthly lunch-and-learns, SBIR training classes, customer discovery workshops, and more.
The Innovation Center offers 58,000 sq. ft. of purpose-built wet-lab space—72 individual labs in all—plus 11,000 square feet of conference rooms, offices and common areas. WMed Innovation Center is located in a state-designated SmartZone, which provides 100% personal property tax exemption.
What makes the Innovation Center unique among incubators/accelerators is its depth of scientific and business counsel. Innovation Center clients use collaborative environment to share insights and advance their science. In addition to on-site scientific equipment, clients can easily access local resources, including two vivariums, mass spec analytical services, quantitative bioanalytical analysis services, and scientific consulting.